Welcome to Friends of Art!
“The mission of Friends of Art is to encourage knowledge of the visual arts, to attract a community of art lovers, and to support the Muskegon Museum of Art.”
Friends of Art was established in 1921 as an informal art study group that met weekly to delve into various art topics. It has taken on many different forms over the years, and this year our group is focused on a monthly presentation of different women in art. Friends of Art offers enrichment opportunities which are meant to deepen the museum experience.
Friends of Art has supported the Muskegon Museum of Art with many gifts throughout the years and is proud to support the upcoming museum expansion by making a donation for capital improvements and for the furnishings and art supplies for a new museum classroom. In addition, Friends of Art gives a monetary award to an artist for the annual Michigan Contemporary Art Exhibition, and donates to the Festival of Trees and the annual Gala. FOA also sponsors the Smithsonian Affiliation Membership for the Muskegon Museum of Art.
This year, at the Muskegon Museum of Art, we continue our Women in Art series, which examines the role of women in art and history. The event draws a line from these talented women of the past, to present day women artists in the MMA’s collection.
Following a brief presentation, guests will visit connected works in the MMA permanent collection, and then conclude with a curated dessert to complete the event. One lucky guest will win the floral arrangement door prize!
December 14 | Françoise Gilot – Doors open at 6:00 PM, Event begins at 6:30 PM
Friends of Art Members: $15 | Public: $20
Advanced registration is required.
Save the Dates for Spring:
March 14 | Kara Walker
April 11 | Smithsonian Affiliation Speaker
May 9 | Mary Cassatt
For questions, contact email@example.com
The Mission of the Friends of Art is to encourage knowledge of the visual arts. To support the growth of young artists the annual Alice Smith Art Scholarship Award was established. In 2024 we will grant $2500 financial aid awards to two Muskegon County high school seniors interested in pursuing an art degree from an accredited community college, university, or private college.
Deadline for entries: APRIL 12, 2024
Review of applications will take place in April with award notification by or before May 3, 2024.
Any questions regarding this application can be directed to: Susan Wink at firstname.lastname@example.org
Friends of Art Golf Outing
FOA will be hosting our Third Annual Friends of Art Benefit Golf Outing on Saturday, August 3, 2024 at Stonegate Golf Club in Twin Lake, MI.
The proceeds will help FOA to:
- Support the MMA’s Smithsonian Affiliation Membership which will enable the MMA to enhance current and future exhibitions and bring a greater variety of programming to the Muskegon area.
- Provide scholarships for two Muskegon County High School Seniors pursuing a degree in Art.
We would love your help and support! You can participate in several ways:
- Join Us! Sign up as an individual player and meet new golfing friends, as a couple, or as a full team (discounts available for signing up as a foursome).
- Sponsorships: Have your logo displayed on event banners, signage, mailers, and the Museum Journal. Several sponsorship levels are available, as low as $250.
- Tell your friends! Help us reach more golfers and sponsors.
- Donate Prizes, Cash, or “goody bag” items, such as balls, tees, water bottles, etc.
For more information on becoming a sponsor, making a donation or playing in the outing please contact us at email@example.com
2023-2024 Board of Directors
Erin Walling, President
Kathy West, Treasurer
Sandy Griffin, Secretary
Cathy Mott, MMA Staff Liaison
Become a Member of Friends of Art
We invite you to join an ever-growing community of art lovers. Membership is open to all museum members. Download the PDF form below for more information.
FRIENDS OF ART MEMBERS RECEIVE:
- Discounts for all ArtSmarts lecture series featuring notable speakers
- Networking with others who are interested in art and art history
- Membership with a unique group that volunteers for events, and provides an annual monetary award for projects relating to the Muskegon Museum of Art, underwrites the Smithsonian Affiliation and provides Scholarships for Art Students
- Membership booklet containing a directory of members, bylaws, and list of programs
Membership to Friends of Art is open to all those with a Muskegon Museum of Art membership. Basic membership in Friends of Art is $25, with benevolent memberships above that level.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.