Muskegon Museum of Art – Friends of Art 2023 Alice Smith Art Scholarship
Friends of Art announces the first annual Alice Smith Art Scholarship Award. Friends of Art (FOA) was established in 1921 as an informal art study group drawing inspiration from the art collection of the Muskegon Museum of Art (MMA). Over the past 100+ years the FOA members have proven to be strong supporting partners of the MMA in numerous ways. FOA has gifted over 70 significant works of art to the permanent collection, created an annual lecture series, financially supported exhibitions, and most recently donated funds to purchase furnishings and art supplies for the MMA’s new art classroom expansion. This scholarship is named in honor of Alice Smith, who served as the first President of Friends of Art in 1923.
The 2023 Alice Smith Art Scholarship will consist of two $2,500 financial aid awards granted to two Muskegon County high school graduating seniors interested in pursuing an art degree from an accredited community college, university, or private college. The award will also include a one-year Friend Level membership to the MMA which has reciprocal benefits to other museums throughout Michigan and the United States. The award of the scholarships will be based on the quality of the individual artists’ portfolio and statement of intent. The duration of this award is on a one-time gifted basis. The award will be payable to the school’s financial aid office for the awardee.
- Muskegon County high school senior
- Must have taken an art class during high school
- Must be pursuing an art degree
- Present 3-5 examples of artwork that best represent you as an artist. Images presented do not have to be in the same medium. All art mediums considered.
- Artist statement addressing your artwork and future educational plans.
- Recommendation (character reference) from two adults, one being an art teacher
- Artists determined as finalists must meet in-person or via Zoom with the selection committee.
- Fully complete the scholarship application form below.
Print the Scholarship Application
Application Deadline: March 3, 2023